Friday, December 21, 2012

Adventures in Eggnog

Homemade Eggnog

My latest adventure in cooking is not quite over yet, but I think I'm going to be happy! For years, our family (at least most of us!) has only drank Anderson Erickson eggnog. Most of us tend to turn our noses up at most other brands. That being said, I was nervous about making homemade eggnog. How would it compare to A&E? Would I like it? What would it taste like?

Three things led me to the decision to try this special Christmas treat:

  1. A sense of adventure,
  2. I always love a new challenge in cooking, and
  3. I needed something Christmasy to blog about.
So I pulled out eggs, milk, spices, and pan this evening. I measured, whisked, heated... Now I'm waiting (not so patiently I may add!). It has to chill overnight. But two things I know..

  1. I liked what I tasted when I couldn't help but sneak a spoonful of the warm mixture before I popped it into the fridge, and
  2. I'll definitely be drinking some before I leave for work in the morning!
I'll update you on how we liked it after we get a chance to really drink some tomorrow. In the meantime, here's the recipe.

EGGNOG
3 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cinnamon stick
Pinch of cloves
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cream
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Put milk, vanilla, cinnamon, cinnamon stick and cloves in a large pan on medium-high heat. Whisk and heat slowly until the mixture starts boiling, being careful not to let it stick. Let sit 2 minutes and remove cinnamon stick. Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with a hand mixer until pale yellow and fluffy. Temper eggs by pouring 1/2 cup of hot milk liquid into eggs while continuing to beat (this is VERY important, in order to keep eggs from cooking before properly mixing). Immediately start mixing milk mixture on low, and slowly pour in egg mixture. After throughly mixed in, return to medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, but DO NOT LET BOIL (this will curdle the eggs)! Mixture will thicken slightly. Remove from heat and add cream and nutmeg. Whisk to mix, and place in refridgerator to chill overnight. Serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon.


I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this end!

No comments:

Post a Comment